Web Site Illustrations


HOME PAGE                 SITE MAP



Illustrations on this Web Site (in no particular order)



Please Note: When you click on a link, the picture will open in a new web page.


The Brown Milling Company - Corner of Mill Street and Quay Street, Dundalk. I always knew it as Rourke's Mill.   It was demolished a few years ago. The building at the extreme right, only partly visible, is now a gym.  The house on the left is still there.  This drawing comes from Tempest's Jubilee Annual 1909.

I have included some additional pictures - mainly engravings of Co. Louth castles. See below.


Ardee Convent. This picture is taken from an early 20th Century postcard. For the Ardee Convent Subscription Fund of 1855 click here.


Dundalk, Seatown Place. Colour postcard of the militia barracks where the Louth Rifles (6th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles), more usually known as the Louth Militia, were stationed, prior to the regiment being disbanded in 1908.    The windmill, seven stories high, was last used in 1855 and the sails were removed in 1870 as they were in a dangerous condition. The windmill was built by a Mr. Martin and contained five pairs of stones.  It was owned by James Kieran. (Information on Seatown windmill taken from: Tempest H.G., Gossiping Guide to Dundalk, 1916, reprinted 1983).


Map of County Louth 1837.   This map of the county is taken from: Lewis Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, Dublin 1837.


Map of Dundalk 1837. This coloured map, showing the town boundaries, is scanned from disbound pages of  the Parliamentary Papers, purchased from a book dealer.   A description of the town, associated with this map, can be found on this site, by clicking here.


The Quays Dundalk. These were busy times at Dundalk harbour. From a postcard dated 1906. The Cooley Mountains are in the background.


Map of Ardee (1) 1837. The coloured map of the town (1), showing the town boundaries, is scanned from disbound pages of the Parliamentary Papers, purchased from a book dealer.   A description of the town, associated with this map, can be found on this site, by clicking here.


Map of Ardee (2) 1837, from the same source .....  shows the townparks

Map of Dundalk 1864.    This map of Dundalk is taken from: D'Alton John, History of Dundalk and its Environs, Dundalk 1864.   Some of the street names have changed.


Arms of the Corporation of Carlingford. taken from: Lewis Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, Dublin 1837.


The Town and Bay of Dundalk. This engraving, purchased disbound from a book dealer, probably dates from the mid-1840s. The 'Big Bridge' to the north of the town (in the centre of the picture), was built in 1819. This appears to be a view of the town as seen from Castletown Mount (a Norman motte), an area that has long associations with the legendary Cuchulainn. The Cooley Mountains are in the background. The names of T.M. Baynes and Percy Heath are associated with the print.


Map of Drogheda in 1749. Ravell's map of 1749 was printed in Volume II, p.363 of D'Alton's History of Drogheda. This version was reproduced from D'Alton's book in (I believe) Thomas D'Arcy's Popular History of Ireland, in a 1908 edition.


Drogheda. This is a 19th century (poss. 1819) coloured engraving of Laurence's Gate, a 13th century barbican, built to defend the town gate, which stood a few metres to the west, across a moat, and on the line of the town wall. (Source of information: Garner William, Drogheda Architectural Heritage, Ireland 1986). The illustration also gives some idea of living conditions on the Cord Road, facing the Gate. The picture was purchased, disbound, from a book dealer.


Drogheda - General View. Taken from Millmount. This photograph is part of an Underwood & Underwood stereoview, dated 1905, in their "Ireland through the Stereoscope" series (number 39). St. Mary's Parish is in the foreground. Across the river is St. Peter's Parish.


Drogheda - St. Lawrence's Gate. This etching of the barbican is from The Gentleman's Magazine, March 1795.


Drogheda Seal. This engraving is taken from: Lewis Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, Dublin 1837.


Drogheda - The Wooden House. Built in 1570 on the corner of Laurence Street and Shop Street, the house was demolished, by order of Drogheda Corporation, in 1824. For a detail of the beautiful carving that was to be found on the house chick here. The engravings date from 1832.


Drogheda - Magdalene Tower. The historic tower, all that is left of the former monastery. This engraving dates from 1832. For a history of the tower click here.


Dundalk - Redemptorist Church. The Redemptorist Order was brought to Dundalk in 1876 by the Most Rev. Dr. McGettigan. The residential building was finished in 1881 and the Romanesque church [of St. Joseph] in 1892. The work is a credit to Dundalk builder Mr. James McAdorey. [Tempest, H.G., Gossiping Guide to Dundalk, Dundalk 1916]


Seatown 'Castle', Dundalk. This 200-year-old engraving, entitled 'Old Church Tower, Dundalk Co. Louth', is of a ruin known locally as 'Seatown Castle', but is actually the bell-tower of what was once the Franciscan Monastery in Seatown Dundalk. The monastery was founded in about 1240 by John de Verdon. It is said that by 1616 nothing existed of the old monastery, except for the bell-tower. The engraving is by Francis Grose from his The Antiquities of Ireland, 2 vols., London, Hooper, 1791.


Carlingford. Illustration from: Hall, Mr. & Mrs S.C. Ireland: It's Scenery, Character etc, London 1841 [also known as Hall's Ireland]. The illustration was bought from a dealer.


Faughart. Scene of some famous battles.


Greenore: The L.&N.W. Hotel and Entrance Hall, Greenore, in the early 1900s. Ferries of the London & North Western Railway Company sailed regularly between Greenore and Holyhead, a journey of four hours. [From the L.&N.W. publication, Ireland for the Holidays, Newtown-Le-Willows 1911]


Parish Church, Collon. The foundation stone for this beautiful church was laid on 25 July 1811 and the first service was held on 17 September 1817. (For further details see Conlon, Larry, The Heritage of Collon 1764-1984, 1984). Photograph taken on 05 August 2002.


Adjutant Rickaby Memorial (Detail).  Detail from the memorial near the altar in the Parish Church, Collon, to Captain John Rickaby (c1768 - 1820) of the Louth Militia. Photograph taken on 05 August 2002.


Illustration from Britannia: or a Chorographical Description of Great Britain and Ireland, by William Camden, first published in 1586 (coloured to make it clearer!).


Dundalk Court House. From an early 20th century postcard.


Dundalk Streetscape. Earl Street Dundalk, leading to the Market Square and Clanbrassil Street, from an early 20th century postcard.



View of Drogheda from the West, taken from an early 20th century Valentine postcard. The River Boyne is in the foreground.


Drogheda Streetscape. St. Laurence Street, Drogheda, from an early 20th century postcard.


Castle Roche. These magnificent ruins of a Norman castle are near Dundalk. The postcard dates from 1912. Lewis gives a brief account of the history of the castle in his details on Roche parish.


horizontal rule

The Boyne Obelisk. The obelisk, commemorating the Battle of the Boyne, was constructed in the 1730s. No longer extant, it was blown up during the 1920s.


This etching is from The Gentleman's Magazine September 1799:


Colchester Barracks Aug. 16 1799


I inclose [sic] you a view of the obelisk, two miles from Drogheda, in Ireland, which commemorates the battle of the Boyne, July 1, 1690. It is founded on the top of a rock on the brink of the river Boyne, and forms a square of 20 feet to each side of the base, and is 152 feet high. As the inscriptions, which are cut in capitals on the four sides of the base, give an ample account of it, I shall content myself by inserting them:


"Sacred to the glorious memory of King WILLIAM the Third, who, on the first of July, 1690, passed the river near this place to attack James the Second at the head of A Popish army, Advantageously posted at he South side of it, and Did on that day, by a successful battle, secure to us and our posterity our liberty, laws, and religion. In consequence of this action, James the Second left this kingdom, and fled to France. This memorial of our deliverance was erected in the ninth year of the reign of King George the Second, the first stone being laid by Lionel Sackville, Duke of Dorset, lord-lieutenant of the kingdom of Ireland. 1736.


This monument was erected

by the grateful contribution

of several Protestants

of Great Britain and Ireland.

RICHARD duke of Schomberg,

in passing this river,

died bravely fighting

in defence of liberty.

First of July,



horizontal rule

Blackrock, County Louth. This photograph is taken from a postcard, dated circa 1908,  Allisons Photographers, Armagh. Gertie, the sender of the postcard says, "It is a beautiful place .... you would not want to go back to Manchester again". Blackrock is still a beautiful place. For Lewis's description in 1837 click here.


Blackrock, County Louth in 1907. Evocative postcard published by George O'Neill, Stationer, Dundalk.


Castletown Castle, Dundalk. This engraving dates from 1786 ('Published according to Act of Parliament by Alexr. Hogg, No 16 Paternoster Row [London]'). It comes from Henry Boswell's Historical Antiquities of England and Wales and is remarkably similar to that of Thomas Wright in his 'Louthiana' of 1748. For an account of the castle by Samuel Lewis from his A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, Dublin 1837, click HERE. The engraving, obviously culled from a book, was purchased, disbound, from a dealer. Click HERE for an early 20th century view of the castle.


The Boyne Viaduct 1855. Taken from an 1855 periodical, this engraving was purchased from a dealer. The railway between Drogheda and Dublin was opened for business in May 1844. The viaduct itself was not ready until 1855, but trains using the Dublin to Belfast route used a temporary wooden structure from 1853.


Louth Abbey. This etching comes, from The Lives of the Irish Saints,  by the Reverend John O'Hanlon, Dublin, circa 1880 (a periodical). The etching was done by the author, transferred to wood by William F. Wakeman, and engraved by Mrs. Millard.


Louth County Hospital. W.M. Thackeray gives an excellent description of the old County Hospital. Click here to read it. (Illustration is from an early 20th-century Laurence postcard).


Moira Pass. Moira Castle in the distance. One of the main routes from Leinster into Ulster and heavily defended throughout history. Called "The Gap of the North".


St. Nicholas Parish Church. Known locally as 'The Green Church', founded in the 13th century and one of the most striking buildings in Dundalk. (Illustration is an early 20th century Raphael Tuck & Sons postcard, published for G. O'Neill, Dundalk).


St. Mary's Catholic Church, Kilsaran. My thanks to Jane Slaughter, who took this photograph. The first stone of Kilsaran Roman Catholic Church was laid on 18 July 1814, on a site given to the parish by Michael Chester senior, just before he died.  The belfry tower was built in 1856.


The Village of Omeath. The village is situated on the shore of Carlingford Lough. This postcard is dated circa 1912.


The Village of Ballymascanlon. This beautiful village hasn't changed much - except for the heavy traffic that passes through the village.


Monasterboice New Church. An old picture-postcard of the church.


The West Cross Monasterboice. This photograph, from a mid-19th century stereoview, shows the west side of the cross (also known as the Great or Tall Cross).


Proleek Dolmen. This wonderful monument has been standing for 5,000 years. The local story is that if you can manage to land a stone on top of the Dolmen, without the stone falling off, your wish will be granted. However, in Tempest's Guide to Dundalk and County Louth, it is said that by landing a stone on top of the Dolmen, you will be married within a year!  Take your choice.


Some County Louth Castles:

The following engravings, unless otherwise stated, date from 1786 and first appeared in Henry Boswell's Historical Antiquities of England and Wales. As I say above, the engravings appear to be enhancements or re-workings of similar drawings made by Thomas Wright in his book 'Louthiana' of 1748. The explanations below are taken from Thomas Wright,  Louthiana, 1748 (reprinted Dundalk 2000), Buckley & Sweetman, Archaeological Survey of Co. Louth, OPW 1991, and H.G. Tempest, Guide to Dundalk & County Louth, Dundalk 1916 (reprinted 1983); See also: http://cloghmore.bravepages.com/louth/louth.html


Ardee Town Castle: '...said to have been built by Roger de Pipard, the first Norman grantee of this barony, about the year 1207' - Tempest


Ballrichan Castle (Balregan Castle): Wright refers to it as Ballrickan Castle. 'Ballrickan or Ballriggan, here are the ruinous Remains of a curious old Castle about two Miles distant from Dundalk, pleasantly situated between two winding rivers... Beyond a doubt it has formerly been the habitation of one of the first Lords of the Pale, and is now in the possession of the Lord Viscount Limerick. 'Tis of a very remarkable construction, and inclosed within a wall'd Court, capable of containing a numerous guard of men. There is a subterraneous cave and a spacious vault under it, which seems to have had some communication with a sally-port directing towards the banks of the river which are here very steep, and high.' - Wright


Carlingford - King John's Castle. An engraving of Carlingford dating from 1832. Another earlier engraving HERE.


Carlingford - Taaffe's Castle. A 15th (or 16th!!)-century fortified house. Local tradition calls a seat on the roof after King John. In 1690 Nicholas Taaffe, who was Earl of Carlingford, was killed fighting on James II's side at the Battle of the Boyne. [The picture is from an early 20th-century postcard]


Castletown Castle: 'This a handsome old castle belonging to Lord Bellew in tolerable good repair, having several rooms in it very habitable, and at present tenanted by Thomas Tipping Esq., who lives in an adjacant modern house, making use of the Castle only as a kitchen and servants hall: 'Tis situated upon the North side of an hill, about a small mile from Dundalk, westward, seen for several miles along the North Road, and commands a full view of the harbour and bay, Slavgullion and the mountains of Carlingford.' - Wright


Darver Castle: Darver Castle was constructed over 500 years ago. It was built by the Babe family in the 12th century. This family sold the castle in 1740 to Ranfal Booth and his descendents lived at Darver until 1980. It is still being lived in and is now forms part of a luxury castle hotel. In 1642 during the Confederate Wars in Ireland, 152 people, including women and children, were massacred at Darver, by Lord Moore, who was leader of some 4,000 English troops.


Dungooly Castle: 'Possible tower house. It is said to have been an O'Neill castle. No visible surface trace.' - Buckley & Sweetman

                            'The Castle, which was situated in the western angle of the crossroads [at Dungooley], is said to have been dismantled by Cromwellian troops, but its total destruction to obtain stone for a local residence is a more recent event'. - Tempest


Haynestown Castle: Probably on 16th century date, described by Tempest as "ivy-covered and venerable".


Killincoole Castle: "This is a small but fine old Castle, situated upon an Eminence half way between Dundalk and Ardee, full in View of all the Country round it, 'Tis built after the same Manner and Stile of that of Milltown, and has been attended with other external Works; underneath it are many and various Vaults and Caves ..... running into one another, and said to communicate by a long subterraneous Passage with Castle Derver, distant about six Furlongs, from whence 'tis imagined, in case of Surprise, one Castle formerly assisted the other. It belongs to John Gernand, Esq; but is not now inhabited." - Wright


Milltown Castle: 'This Castle, belonging to Thomas Fortescue, Esq., of Reynaldstown, is 45 Feet high, and is situated in the Midst of a fine inclos'd Country, and about four Miles South of Dundalk. It appears to be one of the oldest Sort of Habitations now remaining in the County of Louth, and the Manner of Building is said to be borrow'd from the Spaniards, who formerly were Visitors to this Island. Two or three Furlongs from this Dwelling near the Top of a rising Ground, an arch'd subterraneous Vault was lately discover'd running many Roods under-ground, and supposed to communicate with said Castle, as a Sally-way for retiring in time of Danger' - Wright


Rath Castle: 'This castle belonging to Thomas Tipping Esq., appears to have been an antient dwelling of some person of distinction, and probably that of a bishop or abbot, if we may judge by the chapel adjoining it. 'Tis situated on the plains betwixt the sea and the mountains of Carlingford, and near it are several old forts and raths, such as the first invaders, or prime Planters, of the Island are supposed to have inhabited.' - Wright


Roche's Castle: - see also 'Castle Roche' above: 'This noble ruin is situated upon the summit of a rocky hill, near the west borders of the county of Louth, and was formerly one of the frontier castles of the English Pale.' -  Wright


Roodstown Castle: 'A tower House four storeys high, built of uncoursed rubble and greywacke, with projecting towers at its NW and SE angles.' - Buckley & Sweetman

                                'Roodstown or Rootstown Castle lies close to Stabannon and is a good specimen of the small tower castle' - Tempest


Seatown 'Castle': This engraving, entitled 'Old Church Tower, Dundalk Co. Louth', was purchased, disbound, from a book dealer. It is known locally as 'Seatown Castle', but is actually the bell-tower of what was once the Franciscan Monastery in Seatown Dundalk. The monastery was founded in about 1240 by John de Verdon. It is said that by 1616 nothing existed of the old monastery, except for the bell-tower. Engraving published 25 April 1791 by S. Hooper.


Termonfeckin Castle: '[This engraving] represent[s] the remains of a fine old castle, belonging to the See of Armagh, and formerly one of the Seats of the Lord Primate of all Ireland, where he used to reside three months in the year. Archbishop Usher was the last inhabitant and now 'tis quite neglected and run to ruin'. - Wright

Mellifont Abbey - The Gateway: This historic abbey was founded in 1142 and was finally disbanded in 1540 and turned into a private residence. For a detail of one of the doors, click here. For an engraving of St. Bernard's Chapel, click here. The engravings date from 1832. For a Panoramic engraving of Mellifont in 1832 from The Dublin Penny Journal  02 February 1832 click here.






(Return to Home Page)


25 January 2010


 935 Genealogy of Gairbhith 976 Genealogy of Cinaeth Mac Croinghille  1285-1932 Drogheda Mayors 1361-1918 Co. Louth High Sheriffs 1586 Camden's Louth 1649-1734 Drogheda Council Book Name Index 1654 The Down Survey Dundalk Barony 1659-1901 Surname Analysis of Haggardstown 1665-1882 Title Deeds of County Louth Index 1689-1927 Regiments based in County Louth 1692-1841 Dundalk Corporate Officers 1734-1758 Drogheda Council Book Folio Name Index   1740 Corn Census of County Louth 1756 Commission of Array 1775 Collon Cess Payers 1775-1810 Assizes 1793 Louth Militia Officers & Men 1796 Flax Growers 1797 The Louth Militia Light Company   1798 Louth Militia Officers & Men 1804 Militia Substitutes 1816 The Murders at Wildgoose Lodge 1822 Freeholders 1824 Freeholders 1830 County Louth Magistrates 1832 Dundalk Voters 1832 Dundalk: J.R. Eastwood Creditors 1833-40 Dundalk Union Ten Pound Valuations 1837 Dundalk Householders 1837 Dundalk Property Valuations 1837 Drogheda Householders   1837 Lewis's Co. Louth 1837 Shareholders in Dundalk Western Railway 1839 Roden Tenants 1842 - The Montgomery Children, Dundalk 1842 Voters 1842 Thackeray's Louth 1848 WIlliam Torrens McCullagh 1846 Dundalk: The Long Panel 1851 Prisons in County Louth 1852 Thom's Directory - Co. Louth 1854 Patriotic Fund 1855 Ardee Convent 1855 Drogheda Poor Relief Fund 1855 The Louth Rifles - Recruits 1856/7 Emigrants 1858 The Wreck of the Mary Stoddard 1864 Map of Dundalk 1865 Voters 1868-1900 Haggardstown Internments Notified to Dundalk Democrat 1886 A Brief History  1890 Tenants' Defence Fund   1890 Dulargy Schools 1890 Louth Parish Church Fund 1890 St. Joseph's Dundalk Subscribers 1891 Bellingham Memorial 1891 Carroll Fund [Dundalk]   1894 Monasterboice 1898 Tullyallen Subscribers 1900 Haggardstown Church Subscribers 1907 County Louth Through the Stereoscope 1908 Dundalk 1914-1918 The Returned Army 1915 Co. Louth Ambulance Fund    1917 Statistics of the County of Louth 1922-24 Civil War Period in Dundalk 1930-40 Newspaper Death Notices Miscellaneous The Annals of County Louth Baronies, Parishes and Townlands Burials Statistical Surveys Dowdallshill Links Monasterboice through the Stereoscope  Co. Louth Population What's New Louth Sources Books of Co. Louth Interest Memorial Inscriptions Name Index to County Louth Inscriptions  1832 Some Co. Louth Antiquities Illustrations on this Web Site The Kingdom of Oriel Copyright Notice

          Brendan Hall 2002 - 2015